A fishing reel which is made for the saltwater condition is called a saltwater fishing reel. If it is a spinning reel then it is known as a saltwater spinning reel. So if you want the best saltwater spinning reel then you have landed on the right place. These fishing reels are specifically built for the saltwater fishing environment with advanced technology and high-quality materials. So our team has tested some reels to create this list of the Top 10 saltwater spinning reels. So fix your fishing spot and choose the best saltwater spinning reel according to the water condition. But before buying a reel you should consider these things below.
Why do you need a saltwater spinning reel?
Saltwater spinning reels are specially built not to embarrass you in any situation. If you compare the fresh/salt water conditions, saltwater conditions will more vary because you have to deal with bigger fishes in the ocean than any rivers or lake. Again saltwater is very corrosive. So if you use a freshwater spinning reel in saltwater condition then your fishing reel doesn’t last long because fresh water reel is not corrosion resistance. Usually, freshwater reels are made for light uses. So they are not built for heavy use. But if you purchase the best saltwater spinning reel, you can use it in both saltwater and freshwater. It allows you in every fishing conditions and the environment. So make sure your requirements. Don’t buy a freshwater fishing reel when you are interested going on fishing in saltwater like sea or ocean. As you know that the body material of this reel is very high quality so it is little costly. But if your budget is low then check this best saltwater spinning reel fewer than 100 dollars and 50 dollars.
Why does salt water make your fishing reel rust faster?
If you choose a freshwater spinning reel, it might make with graphite or iron. These materials lose about 1mm per year in saltwater. So these are very corrosive in the sea. So these reels will not provide you better longevity and performance. Lack amount of oxygen, your reel becomes infused with salt. Again when you pick your reel from saltwater, it hits the air and starts to dry. Then it crystallizes your reel and split the metal parts. Another big reason is while fishing, your reel come closure to sand, dust, and dirt. So it decreases your fishing reel longevity. But saltwater reels are made with high-quality corrosion resistance materials like aluminum or hybrid composite. That’s why you need the best saltwater spinning reel to use it in every water condition. For more information just check this.
What to look before buying a saltwater spinning reel?
Before purchasing a fishing reel you have to recheck these features to have the best one. So let’s check the things that make a spinning reel best.
- High-quality components: Materials that use in a spinning reel is very important because the reels longevity depends on it. You should look for carbon or titanium fishing reel. These are very high-quality components for heavy users. Hybrid composite reels are also very good. These all are corrosion resistance and lightweight. Don’t go with Magnesium or Graphite reel because they are not as strong as carbon or titanium reel. For long term use, you must get a CI4+ spinning reel. You can use a neoprene reel cover to protect your reel. We put this reel in the first position in our top ten best saltwater spinning reel list.
- Water tightness of frame: If water gets inside the reel, it might damage your ball bearings and internal parts. Some reels have water resistance body shield. The dust and sand can’t get inside. So you need to get a water tight reel like CI4+ or Penn spin fisher.
- Rods and line: If the fishing destination is lakes or rivers, you don’t need a long fishing rod. But if it is an open ocean, then you definitely need a long and strong rod. The fishing rod has to be enough strong and durable because you might get a bigger one to fight for. Usually, you can catch maximum 20pounds from rivers or lakes. But in the sea, it will be much bigger. So don’t buy a rod which is not strong because it might break under low pressure. Here you can get the top 5 fishing rods. Line capacity depends on your reels spool size. More line will be more expensive and heavier. So make a decision and think what kinds of fishes you want to catch and how more line capacity you need. But in my personal opinion use a medium sized line capacity because it gives you better control. For more information check this.
- Bearings and Gear ratio: These are the fundamental parts of a fishing reel. It is an internal mechanism that maintains reels activity. For saltwater uses your ball bearings has to be sealed. More bearings provide you more smoothness while casting or spinning. Try to get at least 5 ball bearings. Okuma reel has 8ball bearings. The materials should be stainless steel or aluminum. Gear ratio 5:1 is ok but you should try to get higher like 6.2:1 it means for each handle turn your bail spins 6 times around the spool. One additional tip, choose a front drag reel because it provides better performance. So let’s take a look at the top ten best saltwater spinning reels list.
Number 1 best saltwater spinning Reel: Shimano Thunnus CI4 Saltwater spinning reel
I personally use this fishing reel in the saltwater environment. This reel is a powerhouse because it has the ability to stop and fight with big fishes. I think almost all experienced anglers have this beast. This Shimano Thunnus CI4 is lighter up to 7 ounces without sacrificing its power and strength. It is one of the most efficient live bait spinning reels that provide smooth drag and maximum longevity. So you must have this excellent fishing reel in your fishing gear collection. Just check the features below.
- Shimano Thunnus CI4 spinning reel has 6 ball bearings and 1 roller bearings. All are made with high-quality materials. The bearings are shield so the dust or water couldn’t get inside.
- The Drag system is very smooth because it has Front Rear Bait-runner Drag system. The max drag is 20lb. Retrieve Range is 30/37 per inch.
- This is ultra lightweight. The weight is 19oz
- Gear ratio is 4.8
- MonoLine Capacity: (295 yds/14 lb), (250 yds/17 lb), (195 yds/20 lb).
- Braid Line Capacity: (295 yds/40 lb), (290 yds/50 lb), (185 yds/65lb).
The CI4 is the symbol of power and strength that delivers the best longevity with adjustable bait conditions. So I recommend you to buy this spinning reel for a better fishing experience.
Number 2 best spinning reel under 300 dollars: Shimano Stradic CI4
The Shimano Stradic CI4 comes with lightweight high-quality materials. It’s ultra light fluorocarbon body, monofilament line makes this reel more powerful and durable. The reel wins the hearts of anglers with its striking good looks and solid body. You feel the smooth drag as an experienced angler feel. The Shimano Stradic saltwater spinning reel has all advanced features like HAGANE gear, G Free Body, X-SHIP, Core Protection and much more. Its Magnumlite Rotor allows you a super light feeling turning the reel handle. The new rotor designed with advanced technology like no other competing Reel product. The weight has been reduced up to 5gm over the previous range. All internal parts are fully sealed and corrosion resistance. So this is also one of the best saltwater spinning reels in the market.
- Advanced high-quality lightweight materials. This reel has the high-Crank power rating.
- The drag power range is 3-11kg. Retrieve power range is 66-99cm. it has high casting rate.
- The Shimano Stradic CI4 has 6 ball bearings and one roller bearing. All are shield and corrosion free.
- Smooth waterproof drag performance. Front drag system.
- Lightweight CI4 frame. Weight is 5.8oz.
- Direct drive mechanism.
- The Gear Ratio is very high. It is 6.0:1
If you want a reel that provides better longevity and power then you should buy this spinning reel because it has max strength and durability. It allows you catch big fishes easily. You can use a fish finder to catch fish easily.
Number 3: DAIWA SALTIST heavy action spinning reel
Daiwa is very popular fishing reel brand among anglers all over the world. They manufacture quality fishing gears and maximum reels are made for saltwater uses. So you can use it both in fresh and saltwater. The reel has braid line capacity and rugged metal construction. Daiwa Saltist reel comes with the DIGI-Gear system that provides smooth drag and rotation.
- Full aluminum body and handle with rugged metal construction.
- Fast 6.2:1 gear ratio which is very high level.
- 5 shield corrosion free Tubular stainless steel ball bearings with 1 roller bearing.
- Sealed waterproof drag system.
- Dual retrieve with anti-reverse.
- Braided line ready spool
- If you open it the rotor brake keeps bail in a convenient position.
- Max drag is 22.2lb. weight 22.0 oz
For maximum protection and longevity, you can use a Daiwa reel cover. This reel will be a great deal for you under 200 dollars. It works very well with live baits.
Number 4: Shimano Spheros SW Spinning Reel
Most of Shimano spinning reels are made for the saltwater environment. So the Shimano Spheros is another best saltwater fishing reel you can use as your wheel. This reel has “SW Concept” with a durable design. Its X-Shield blocks the water and dust. It has X-Ship feature that provides improved gear durability. So the gear will settle in the same position under heavy pressure. This best saltwater spinning reel comes with Cold Forging Technology to deliver high toughness and better performance. So let’s check the specifications of this advanced spinning reel.
- This reel comes with 4 ball bearings and 1 roller bearing. All are sealed with X-Shield technology.
- Max drag is 27lb. front drag system provides smooth drag.
- The Gear ratio is 4.8:1 depends on reel sizes.
- Advances X-Ship and X-Shield technology.
- Dual retrieve and retrieve range is 38-40 (inch)
- Light-weight. Weight is 24.7 oz.
So this Shimano Spheros SW comes with incredible structural strength and protection against corrosion and damage. For more protection and longevity, you can use a Shimano reel cover.
Number 5 cheap saltwater fishing reel: Daiwa Ballistic EX Spinning Reel
Its high-density resin and carbon fiber materials made this reel more strong and powerful. This Daiwa ballistic is stronger than a graphite reel. The DIGI gear design delivers ultra-smooth performance. Its engine plate feature gives you direct pressure so that you can enable the perfect meshing of the gears. This reel is sealed with advanced MAG Seal system. So you can get perfect balance with max strength and power. Use the best lubricant oil inside your reel to get perfect mechanism.
- The main craze of this reel is it has 10 bearings. The bearing combination is (1CRBB+8BB+1RB)
- Air rotor makes it weightless. So you can feel great sensitivity.
- DIGI gear system for smooth and powerful drag.
- MAG -Sealed construction with corrosion free Zion body.
- ABS II aluminum spool.
- The Gear ratio is 5.6:1 and infinite Anti-Reverse.
So this spinning reel is light as air and strong like steel. It will impress you because you can feel the technology and power.
Number 6 best saltwater spinning reel under 200: Penn Clash HT-100 Carbon Fiber.
As Penn Battle II the Penn Clash also serves excellent performance and strength. It’s nine sealed ball bearings keep everything in line that reduces backlash and line twist. Thick aluminum bail wire provides great line management and control. The Dura-Gear technology delivers long lasting gear and durability.
- The Penn Clash spinning reel comes with full metal body.
- The Rotor is well balanced and easy to control.
- The Dura-Gear system ensures smooth drag.
- Nine sealed ball bearings. All are made with stainless steel.
- Advanced HT-100 carbon fiber drag washer.
- Anti-reverse bearing.
- The Gear ratio is 4.7:1-6.2:1 depending on your reel sizes.
- Ultra lightweight. Weight is only 16.90oz
So Penn clash spinning reel gives you quality components and technology at this cheap price range under 200 dollars.
Number 7: Shimano Baitrunner D
This latest Shimano Baitrunner comes with many new advanced features like Auto-runner and legendary drive-train. It provides better castability without any backlash. But gear ratio is little slow. The advantage of this reel is less friction on the line, comfortable grip handle, and Super-Stopper II with Dyna-Balance system. You can choose different sizes but I recommend you to buy a medium size for better control.
- This reel has 3 ball bearings and 1 roller bearing.
- The Gear ratio is 4.4:1 with waterproof drag. Max drag is 25 pounds.
- Weight little bit high as CI4 and it is 30 ounces.
- Direct Drive Mechanism, Machined Aluminum Handle, Fluorocarbon and Power-Pro lines.
- It provides higher max drag with less friction on the line and bearings.
- Line Capacity: 12/550,16/350,20/265
Shimano Baitrunner D saltwater spinning reel is made to be used for extended periods of time. So use it both in freshwater and saltwater.
Number 8 best saltwater spinning reel under 100 dollars: Penn Conflict spinning reel
This is another best mid-range saltwater spinning reel in the market. You can use it both in freshwater and saltwater. Its durable design and smooth drag are a few of the reasons why so many beginners and experienced anglers fish with this reel. So this Penn Conflict Saltwater spinning reel is created to perform and engineered to last long periods of time.
- This reel has high strength graphite rotor.
- Aluminum Rotor used in models (5000-8000).
- 7 sealed stainless steel ball bearings with one roller bearing.
- Techno-Balanced rotor provides balanced retrieve every time. Instant anti-reverse feature.
- Dual retrieve. So you can adjust left or right.
- Gear ratio is 5.6:1
- Max drag is 25lb, front drag. Weight 19 oz.
Penn Conflict has come with two colors black and smoky. I personally like the black one. so you can get this best saltwater spinning reel under 100 dollars.
Number 9: Quantum Energy PT Spinning Reel
Nice outlook and impressive design make this reel very reliable. It is a tournament grade fishing reel that delivers solid performance. It has the ability to fight with big fishes.A huge number of ball bearings allows you smooth drag, casting and worry free fishing when it’s all on the line.
- 11 sealed ball bearings give you ultra smooth cranking while fishing.
- Gear ratio is 5.2:1
- Max drag is 20lb.
- Solid tournament grade reel.
- Lightweight Hybrid Razo-Rotor. Weight is only 8.3 oz.
- Double anodized Max Cast II spare braid spool.
- Aluminum main shaft with CSC Drag system.
This reel will give you maximum strength with reduced weight. So if your budget is low, you can get this best saltwater spinning reel under 200 dollars.
Number 10 best saltwater spinning reel: Fin-Nor Offshore Spinning Reel
If your budget is low and you want a heavier conventional reel, Fin-Nor Offshore is the ideal choice for you. This is the top choice for serious saltwater tournament fishermen.
- Strong Aluminum body and rotor.
- This reel has 4 double sealed stainless steel ball bearings.
- It has carbon fiber drag washer and Forged aluminum spool.
- Gear ratio is 4.4:1
- Extreme drag pressure. Max drag is 25-30lb.
Best saltwater spinning reel usually designed to survive the corrosive nature of saltwater and made to be used for extended periods of time. You will not be disappointed purchasing any fishing gears from our top ten fishing reels. These all have better longevity, user-friendly, watertight, corrosion resistance, strong and built for heavy users. Again you can use it both in saltwater and freshwater. Fishing in the ocean with friends and family can be a memorable experience. So all you have to do is select your fishing destination, check the features and get the best saltwater spinning reel and enjoy fishing.